Friday, 31 March 2017

Lee Mount - 30th March

Hectic with moths last night and there were bound to be  a few to struggle with including one or two which seem a bit early (?) !
Common Quaker x 15+
Small Quaker x 2
Hebrew Character x 1
Twin-spotted Quaker x 1 very pale individual
Early Grey x 2
Clouded Drab x 2
Agonopterix heracliana x 1
2 unidentified micros.....
3 Pugs which I am still having a look at - will probably post later to see what anyone thinks of them !


Also, these below for scrutiny?? -photos below
Diurnea flagella  x 1
Ruby Tiger x 1 (maybe a bit early? and showing signs of injury - wonder if this is from scorching on a MV lamp - if it is then a mesh guard is pending as the last thing I want is injuries to the moths !
Bee Moth (early ?) x 1
 Diurnea flagella ?
 
 Ruby Tiger ?
 
Bee Moth ?
 
 
And the 3 different pugs.....all 3 about 10mm wing length which I guess will be either Brindled.. or Double-striped with the top 2 seem to have different wing shapes ?




5 comments:

AndyC said...

Look like Brindled Puds , Bee moth is good and the Ruby tiger could be a very worn quaker sp??

Gordon Jackson said...

Hi David

Yes, I'm sorry to say that the damaged "Ruby Tiger?" is caused by scorching on the lamp. I have been told that they tend to die soon after. I have seen a LOT of this damage, with moth tat visit our door. I wonder where they are coming from to get to Stainland? I've not seen anyone round here with a lamp but the do fly long distances.The damage is always in the same place. I honestly think that there should be a law regarding selling moth traps without a mesh fitted, it's such a shame.

David Sutcliffe said...

Thanks Andy - that 'Ruby Tiger' will have to be discounted of course.

Cheers Gordon - yes thought so. I don't like to see the damage on the moths. A fine mesh from Wickes purchased so that lamp will not go on till I sort the guard.

The synergetic (green) lamp hardly gives any heat off at all so I can't see that being a problem but will keep it under review.

richard bartlett said...

Hi David,
I agree that all 3 pugs are Brindleds but photo #2 is a male Muslin Moth. The combination of remaining grey scales on the thorax, bipectinate antennae (visible on LHS) and distinctive wing shape all confirm the ID. And rest assured the damage is not caused by scorching but normal wear and tear to a moth that has probably been around for a while and lost most of its scales through its activities.
Richard

David Sutcliffe said...

Your comments are greatly appreciated Richard. Many thanks for everyone's help to my frequent queries as well. Dave